Skip to content
- 4 small(er) eggplants, Italian eggplants are perfect for papucaki
- 2–3 green peppers or 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3–4 green onions, chopped
- 2–3 tomatoes, diced or grated
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2–3 tbsp olive oil
- ~1 cup grated mozzarella or feta cheese
- 2 egg
- 4 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- Place eggplants on a baking sheet, poke holes in them and roast until they collapse and the flesh is all the way soft.
- Once they cool down, cut a rectangle piece on top as in the picture and scoop out the flesh.
- Dice the roasted eggplant flesh and mix them with lemon juice in a bowl.
- In a pan heat olive oil and add onion and peppers. Stir until soft.
- Add diced eggplant flesh and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salt, black pepper, and bay leaves and cook until tomato juice cooks off.
- Beat eggs in a bowl and stir them in the tomato mix and stuff the eggplants with this. [I usually skip egg part]
- Cover the tops with grated cheese.
- Place stuffed eggplants in an oven dish and bake in a preheated oven at 400F for 15–20 minutes.
- serve immediately.